Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Racist Florida lawmaker in denial

Florida Republican Ralph Arza is in deep doo-doo over this (from the Sun-Sentenel):


    Arza resigned after facing pressure to quit over profanity-laced voice mails he left for State Rep. Gus Barreiro, R-Miami Beach, in which he used the n-word. He told investigators he made the calls after drinking a lot of red wine, according to an affidavit filed in the case by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

So the guy gets sloshed and leaves intimidating voicemails, calling another guy the n-word. After that, he says this:


    "It hurts me that someone would classify me as a racist," he said in English. "That hurt me beyond my own recognition."

It doesn't end there. His rationale for the voicemails (USA Today):


    Arza, who is Cuban-American, said Wednesday his calls to Barreiro were made out of "frustration of eight months of being attacked unfairly for being a racist."

Am I missing something? He responds to allegations of racism by...calling somebody the n-word. I predict Arza will soon announce that he has a "disease" and is checking himself into a clinic for "treatment".

No comments: