Wednesday, November 14, 2007

What's worse, birders, birds, or cat lovers?


The case: An avid "birder" shoots and kills a feral cat known to stalk and kill endangered birds. He has been arrested and will stand trial. From the New York Liberal Times:

    Mr. Stevenson, 54, does not deny using a .22-caliber rifle fitted with a scope to kill the cat, which lived under the San Luis Pass toll bridge, linking Galveston to the mainland. He also admits killing many other cats on his own property, where he operates a bed and breakfast for some of the estimated 500,000 birders who come to the island every year.

And this:

    The case has prompted emotional commentary on the Internet. Cat enthusiast blogs have called Mr. Stevenson a “murderous fascist” and a “diabolical monster.” Birding blogs have defended his right to dispense with a “terrible menace” and have set up funds to help pay for his defense.

    In an interview in a courthouse elevator during a break in the trial, Mr. Stevenson said heatedly that cat fanciers who have condemned him and sent him hateful correspondence “think birds are nothing but sticks.” “This is about wild species disappearing from your planet,” he said, adding, “I did what I had to do.”

I can't decide who I like less, bird fanatics or cat fanatics. For the record, I like cats, but don't have a problem with a feral cat getting blasted into tomorrow. I despise birds because they're plague carriers, make a lot of noise, and shit everywhere. And I especially dislike birders -- because they actually spend time watching birds chirp and sit around. I'd rather have my skin pulled off and then have a entire package of Morton's salt poured onto my skinless, red, pulsating body.

The guy on trial is not only a birder, he's upset about wild species disappearing from our planet. Does he mourn the sabre-toothed tiger, or the other million species that now exist only in the fossil record? Species come and go. Why cry about it?

If anything, the guy shot the wrong animal. He should have put the crosshairs on the birds.

I hope all sides lose this court case.

They really need to man up

Other Shoot It pieces are here.

No comments: