Monday, January 22, 2007

Frenchies turning off electricity Feb 1

Tim Blair has brought to my attention French plans to turn off all electricity on February 1st. The event, to last between 7:55 and 8:00 p.m., is being organized by Alliance For The Planet, "a grouping of 72 environmental organizations".

Sigh.

As a counterbalance to this nuttiness, and because the planet doesn't need saving, I plan to turn on all four PCs at 7:55 p.m., plus turn on all the lights, run the coffeemaker, toaster oven, microwave, and both TVs. I don't usually run my ceiling fans during the winter, but I'll make an exception.

Greenies, lefties and outrageous commies say we have a responsibility to the planet. I agree, but in a very different way. My responsibility is to live my life the way I please, and if anybody doesn't like it, they should develop a replacement for fossil fuels that doesn't compromise my lifestyle.

Europeans might say this is typical American arrogance, and perhaps it is. I'm just not interested in giving up my comfortable, six-passenger sedan in favor of a tiny "Smart Car" ("Stupid Car" is more like it). Anything less than 3-liters and 200hp is absurd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are an idiot