Five items because saying goodbye is fun...
5. LGF has uncovered a sliver of hope from across the pond: European Spine Watch.
4. Holy Toledo! In a case of American Spine Watch, the men behind the curtain of the 7-11 chain has killed its deal to sell Citgo gasoline. Citgo is owned by Hugo Chavez; the deal went south in part because of the dictator's insulting remarks before the UN. AP via LGF.
3. With His Corruptness Coffee Cup Annan leaving the UN, who will replace him? Cocoa, his son, or somebody competent and uncorrupt? The two front runners are Moon of South Korea and Tharoor of India. Times of London via EU Referendum.
As a side note, Annan was educated, in part, at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. Mac, as it's called, is a preternaturally liberal stronghold in one of the most liberal places in America. This time let's get a sec-gen who attended any other college. The people suffering under genocidal dictators would really appreciate it.
2. My list of Muslim terror attacks against the U.S. has been updated with several items from OpinionJournal.
"(Terrorists) came to America on September 11th, but they were attacking you before September 11th in other parts of the world. We are a witness in Afghanistan to what they are and how they can hurt. You are a witness in New York. Do you forget people jumping off the 80th floor or 70th floor when the planes hit them? Can you imagine what it will be for a man or a woman to jump off that high? Who did that? And where are they now? And how do we fight them, how do we get rid of them, other than going after them? Should we wait for them to come and kill us again? That's why we need more action around the world, in Afghanistan and elsewhere, to get them defeated -- extremism, their allies, terrorists and the like."
--Hamid Karzai, president of Afghanistan, September 2006
1. Italy and the UK have, or are considering, making rules about skinny fashion models. I don't like government meddling, but I welcome the statement being made. I have never been attracted to women skinnier than my arm. Who likes to see twig-thin women with ribs poking out? It's absurd. BBC.