Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Sprint's mobile wireless

I've spent the last few days using Sprint's EVDO (mobile wireless service) with my laptop all around Southern California. It's nice to have high-speed internet everywhere I go.

Spint had a 30-day trial period, so there was no reason not to give it a whirl.

It will end up costing me $90 for the PC card, plus $60/mo. I keep telling myself I'm paying for a reliable service that's completely portable with the laptop, not blinding speed. That said, the speed of Sprint EVDO (Evolution, Data Optimized) is very good for web surfing and uploading and downloading large files. The only speed issues I've seen so far is with large video files. My downloads chug along at 15-50 kbps, where my home connection runs at a minimum of 120, and usually above 200. Streaming videos at youtube.com and similar sites has been just as good with EVDO as cable.

I knew there would be speed issues, so it's not a bar. After all, it's just not fair to compare mobile wireless to cable, at least not yet. Overall, I'm very impressed with the usability. There have been no frustration issues anywhere on the web, with anything I do.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Run the Sprint Connection Manager, press Go, and I'm on in five seconds.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Coverage is very good.

Again, it has only been a few days, but so far I'm very pleased. Sprint has been really good so far, with a fast, simple setup -- which we demand nowadays. With Sprint's trial option, this is a no-brainer for anyone with a laptop who wants fast internet absolutely everywhere. As a bonus, Sprint/Nextel supports NASCAR. These people should be paying me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A BLATANT "plug" for Sprint! Disgusting Mr. Long. Are you now a shill for Sprint? I am both appalled and revulsed! It will be a long time before I return as a visitor to your blog - if at all.

Anonymous said...

No sh*t Cheeser. What's next Don...car commercials like they now run before the movie starts? Right-Guard ad's? Women's products, and I know you know what I mean by that, Don.

If I wanted commercials or advertising I'd go elsewhere. WTF Don, WTF?